Each week, The Broadway Critic will be featuring the news that you don’t want to miss! A lot has happened since last week, so make sure you keep up to date!
- Besides the American Idiot drama, there has been some cast announcements. Most exciting is that Laura Benanti joins the cast of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. Check out the Lincoln Center website here. Can’t believe it starts previews in two months! I’ll be there! (See above, the Broadway cast poster.) Here’s the wiki page.
- BroadwayWorld TV’s Los Angeles correspondent Michael Sterling, got up close and personal today with the cast of RENT at rehearsals for the Hollywood Bowl presentation of the groundbreaking musical August 6 through 8, 2010. Watch the video here. I would love to drive down and see this if I wasn’t performing in RENT this weekend at City Lights Theatre Company.
- Frank Wildhorn’s new musical, Wonderland is headed to Broadway in the Spring. Directed by Gregory Boyd — the artistic director of the Alley Theatre in Houston, TX — the new musical will officially open on Broadway April 17, 2011. You can hear a bunch of the songs here.
Broadway Blog Round Up:
- Steve on Broadway – A great review of Harry Connick Jr.’s concert on Broadway. If you missed, don’t fear, “While this concert gig closed on Saturday, my performance was filmed, presumably for television. So you’ll likely have a chance to see exactly what I saw sometime in the near future.”
- Stage Notes – Check out this picturesque post about Idina Menzel in concert at Bethel Woods Center for the Arts. They said it was the “perfect evening under the stars.” Wish I was there!
- Musicals in LA – Have you heard about Robin and the 7 Hoods? If not, check out this review. We are hearing reports that it might be headed to Broadway.
- JK Theatre Scene – A very interesting point of view on how theatre has changed with the invention of the internet… very interesting post. Read it and comment!
- Gratuitous Violins - Have you been to Joe’s Pub? Esther hadn’t and she loved it. I love Joe’s Pub! It’s such a fantastic intimate venue. She mentions that you should check out the Broadway Impact concert in August at Joe’s Pub. I tend to definitely agree with her! (Plus, her blog’s new look is quite awesome! Congrats on the update!)
- Everything I Know I Learned From Musicals – Caggiano is back, snarky as ever – this time about Catherine Zeta Jones and her Tony Award. But the best part of this post, is that he loved the new cast in A Little Night Music which just makes me ecstatic that I’m going to be able to see this in October with such an epic cast!
- Chicago Theatre Blog – A very interesting 2-star review of the pop musical, Bare.
What was your favorite Broadway news story this week? Any great Broadway blogs that I’ve missed? Let me know in the comments!