It has been 150 years since Victor Hugo’s novel Les Misérables was first published. However, for the last 25 or so, the poignant saga of Jean Valjean, a villain to some but a savior to others, set in France during the early years of the 19th century, has become one of the world’s most popular musicals.
In Les Misérables: From Stage to Screen, the reader can find out how the musical came to life – the trials and tribulations of turning it from the initial concept into a thrilling musical extravaganza – and how the new film version starring Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe and directed by the Oscar-winning Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech) has emerged from the show that has been seen by over 55 million people worldwide.
To bring this fascinating story to life, the book also contains at least 15 facsimiles that highlight key moments in the creation of Les Misérables, both on stage and on the screen, including:
• Original costume sketches
• Annotated scripts
• Original music scores and librettos
• Film screenplay extracts and anniversary mementos
GIVEAWAY: HOW TO WIN A FREE COPY OF Les Misérables: From Stage to Screen:
- Subscribe to our feed or subscribe through email (see link on right-hand column)
- Comment and tell us what your favorite or least favorite part of the new Les Miserables movie and tell us how many times you have seen the stage musical.
Winner will be chosen February 14th, 2013.
TBC will be choosing the winner by entering the names manually (who’ve done all three things) into random.org. You’ll be notified by email. If we get no response, we will choose another winner. (You will not be notified if you do not win.)